Our life has been a little bit about planes this week. We got the opportunity to see three WWII planes and my dad was there to give some commentary. I had three uncles that came home from that war and one flew the B-17 and the other two flew the B-24 (the flying fortress). One of the uncles said that he made it home with 300 bullet holes in his plane. Whoa!!! It was really amazing to climb up in the planes, maneuver through the tight spaces, view the world from their vantage points, and think about all the men whose names are on the sides of the planes. It was a great morning and an amazing, hands on history lesson for my children. They won't forget it.
The other plane was the one we put Carleigh on yesterday. She doesn't mind flying, but had a hard time yesterday...took off with 60 mph winds. Needless to say, there was some turbulence. She is in Dallas for a regional dance conference...they take classes all day, perform and watch other companies perform and then, get to go to big parties called galas. She will perform twice with her company.
I can remember my mom talking about sitting around the radio with her family...she was between 6-10 years old during the war. They would sit and listen for the soldiers' names that were missing, shot down, etc. What a relief and great thanks when none of her brothers' names were listed. I carried my phone everywhere, yesterday, until I got that call from Carleigh. She called. Relief! Thankfulness.
1 comment:
OMG, I can't beleive that was like.... A month ago everything is going so fast!!
I have heard that story about grandma sitting in front of the radio waiting to hear for her brothers names, so many times. But I never get tired of it.
I love you
Carleigh
Post a Comment