Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Treasures in time

Some of you may know that Scott and I go on a date every week. We usually spend the time at a coffee shop and he asks lots of good questions. This week, he asked me, "What moment this week were you most thankful for?" Well, it was neat to be able to answer that there was this precious moment with my 11 year old son. We have this habit of everyone gathering on our bed before bedtime and we talk, read, listen to music, draw, etc. Well, this particular night, I was sharing something that had really hurt me in the day. It was really cool to look at my pre-teen son and see tears in his eyes and have him hug me and say, "I understand what you are feeling." That wasn't the first time that he had done that...it was just neat that even though he is getting older and entering a time where most kids are getting pretty self-centered, he was able to "see" me. It was a real gift.

Another treasure has been getting to know Natalee's boyfriend, Leo. Our whole family has been sending him questions through facebook. He is really open and honest and just a great guy. I even got to talk on the phone with him and Natalee for a while yesterday. So neat to see them enjoying each other and honoring God at the same time. So thankful!!!

Finally, I got to help celebrate my dad's 76th birthday this week. He really likes Olive Garden and so, we all gathered around a table with him at the head. I think that he enjoyed his Lemon cake the most...he has always been a sweets eater. We gave him the new book by Gov. Perry called On My Honor...about the boy scouts. My dad was a scout leader and helped my brother become an eagle scout. He is already half-way through the book. My dad is a great story teller and started writing "Yo Daddy Reports" when we were in college. They were tidbits about his childhood and other life experiences. They are really fun to read. If anyone who reads this has any ideas about publication, let us know. We would love to get them all compiled into one manuscript. Anyway....take the time to ask your parents questions about their lives...hear their stories...you will be glad you did. If that is no longer possible for you or if your parent isn't the kind that would do that....be sure you do it for your children. After all...isn't that what the bible is....stories of God's activity in people's lives...share His activity in yours.

I will close listening to the beautiful music of my Emi playing a Sonatina.

2 comments:

carla's gateway said...

wishing I could hear it too... is it Mozart? I'm thinking she'd like his "stuff"....although Bach was good even if some of it was way to difficult for me! Thanks for your open heart Diana. The video you sent made me cry (good tears).. loving you right now, c

Emily Suzanne said...

I sorta quoted you in a recent blog AND on my facebook!! Hope that's okay! You're just so wise!!!