Thursday, June 26, 2008

Conservation

I grew up on a farm and we had our water supply through a windmill.  I can remember having to go turn it off when the winds were very strong and the tank was full.  I would have to pull with my whole body to get that piece of wood to pull down.  Then, there were the days that we didn't have any water and the wind wasn't blowin' at all!!!  We would go down to my Granddad's house and shower in his well house.  Cool!!!  We eventually got an electric pump and some of our problems were solved.  One thing that did not change was our water conservation.  My dad belonged on the soil and water conservation board.  We believed in limiting water usage and saving it for the future.  I learned a lot about saving our resources and re-using things from my parents.  I still believe that part of being "green" is still just thinking wisely about how we use our resources.  It doesn't have to be big expensive changes....what is sustainable is turning off the lights when you aren't in a room, planting/gardening for the climate, not letting water just run and run and run, not using chemicals when baking soda will work...things like that.  In Genesis..."God took the Man and set him down in the Garden of Eden to work the ground and keep it in order."  I was wondering, what are ways that you "work the ground" or "keep it in order" that you would like to share?  It may be something that you have always done or something that you have just started doing....I just thought that it would be fun to share.  

3 comments:

carla's gateway said...

Yes...... I can see that in you Diana! thank you, "green" has always been my favorite color, and now it lets me see you a little more.

Emily Suzanne said...

hmm... what do I do? I'm in the process of getting bags to reuse for grocery shopping... and TRYING to get myself together so I can recycle... and I'm thought about cloth diapers... but that's all in the process!
As of today, I get a ton of stuff from garage sales and repurpose and reuse in that way. Plus, before giving away my clothes, I go through them to keep the ones I might use for sewing later on. Just trying to really think about new things I buy and if I could "recycle" something instead! I've always loved reusing things anyway.

Emileigh Latham said...

I did not know that about you, Mommy. That was lovely and wonderfully written.